[DML] Re: Re:Delorean Racing [long]

I don't want to do an over kill on this racing subject but Bill Wilson brought up some interesting points. I've gone to a rally several times which uses track time at Road America as it's high point. The rules are spelled out over and over at the driver's meeting. NO passing other than onthe front straight. Everyone leaves their lights on and slower cars always allow the faster cars by when on the front straight. Simple rules that allow everyoneto push their cars a bit. Last time we did five laps which is 20 miles of fast driving. Unfortunately there are a few jerks who don't know a racing line from a bowling lane and must sleep through the driver's meeting. We had one of these guys driving a Corvette who couldn't remember the turns from one lap to the next. He passed all over the track, approached turns from the inside corners and came with-in inches of broadsiding my DeLorean as I came off my apex at thetop of Firemen's Hill. He didn't know an apex from a fire hydrant and was flying towards a blind 90 degree left hander in the inside lane while passing everything in sight. As I turned out of the apex I glanced out the drivers side window and saw this idiot, with all four wheels locked, sliding right at me. In hindsight, if he had hit me, there wouldn't have been any insurance to cover this type of situation and we all had signed waivers relieving Road America and the rally organizers of any liability. I'd still do this again because it's the thrill of a lifetime putting in 20 miles of "almost racing" at Road America but next time I'm going to take a much closer look at my fellow drivers at the meeting and try to stay with the group that appears to have some concept of what they're about to undertake.

Bruce Benson