[DML] Re: Re:Delorean Racing [long]

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Bob Brandys wrote:

> > the BCU is planned a racing day at Bloomington. 1/2 day driver
> > training. 1/2 day driving.

Is this really "racing" or is it a different kind of event?

I wouldn't take any valuable car racing, except if I were made of money.
Racing typically also has a lot of safety and insurance requirements -
which your DeLorean probably won't have, and if the event planners have
neglected these, you don't want to go anyway.

But a Driver's Ed event is a great place to practice and learn about car
control. Typically passing is prohibited in corners and only allowed in
designated areas with permission of the slower car. In addition, drivers
are typically not allowed to drive "solo" without an instructor first
certifying them. The focus is not on going fast, but on learning. Going
fast is what happens to you if you learned a lot. These skills carry over
into everyday driving, so even if you never plan on competitive driving,
you can still learn a lot. Like what your car can do if it needs to. :}

There are also open track days. Typically, this works like a DE without
the instructors. Good to practice, but you won't learn as much unless you
already know what you need to work on.

The "other white meat", autocross, is also great for learning about
performance driving. Speeds are relatively low, there are no obstacles,
and the entire area is paved, so even if you go off course, you can't even
get dirty, much less crash. But all the same principles apply, it's
usually cheaper, and I think it's just as much fun.

Other tips:
1) Make sure your car is in top mechanical condition. This means good
condition brakes, brake fluid, oil change, filters, and no mechanical
problems.

2) Go easy at first. Build up speed gradually.

3) Do not brake or shift in a turn. Do your braking, and shifting, before
the turn. If you do it in a DeLorean during the turn, this means you go
off the track rear end first, possibly quite unexpectedly. Keep your foot
on the gas (not floored, just enough to maintain speed or accelerate very
gradually) and the car will be stable and predictable.

4) You will wear out your stuff quickly. Fuel, oil, tires, and brakes all
get used up at an incredible rate of speed. Especially brakes. I'm not
familiar with this particular track, but on the tracks I go to, "normal"
brake pads only last for 2-3 laps at a time before starting to fade, and
you can wear a whole new set out in a weekend. But other than
consumables, track driving is not hard on a car in good shape. If you're
worried about things breaking because of stresses not normally
encountered, then think of it this way: Would you rather have something
break on the track, in a controlled environment with no other cars nearby,
or in traffic, trying to get out of the way of that semi that doesn't see
you? The peak stress on your components is quite similar.

5) Plan on being a rolling chicane for the other cars. Don't worry about
it. Wave them past in the passing zones. It's harder than it looks but
it gets easier - sort of like learning to ride a bike, or swim. Not that
I ever learned to swim. You could argue I never learned how to drive
fast either. <g>

6) If you took Driver's Ed in highschool, forget everything they said.
This might not be a bad idea anyway.

7) Things seem faster on a track. You'll end up wondering where that
extra 100 HP came from, and if you look at your speedometer, you'll be
thinking "only 60 mph? My angle drive must be loose." :}

Also: Make absolutely sure your seats and belts are firmly attached and in
good condition. You'll also need a helmet. Don't go to an event that
doesn't require one. Personally, I've never seen a crash at any track
event I've gone to (they are really quite rare), but it *can* happen, and
you don't want to expose your brain if it's you. Any motorcycle helmet
should be good enough, though some events require Snell rated.

Performance driving is a precision sport. Despite what you might think
from NASCAR, it bears more resemblance to archery than it does to
football. You'll do better if you plan ahead and keep your cool. The
speed is just how you tell how well you're doing. Ask for advice from
anyone that looks like they know what they're doing. They'll help you.

You might want to tell your spouse/mother that you're going to a car show.
These have been known to file objections to this type of event, even
though such objections are groundless. :}

> Those that are crasy.

I think you should abandon that class, for reasons which should be obvious
from the above.