[DML] Re: Compact Spare Fix

 Why not have an innertube put inside the tyre ??

You will n ot be travelling at any speed and this should hold the
pressure !!

John G.

"mquinto" <mquint-@xxxx> wrote:
original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/dmcnews/?start=6308
> Johnathan wrote:
> My compact spare is dead. It won't hold any air at all--pump it up to
60psi
> and it's totally flat in an hour. I figured I could just replace it,
but
> the guy at the tire shop said they usually replace the WHOLE thing
(wheel
> and tire) on compact spares. Is this BS?
>
> Has anyone had a similar experience? Thanks!
>
> --Jonathan #000697
>
> I had the same problem. If you fill your spare with air and submerge
it in water you'll see it leak all around the bead. This is because our
spares are aluminum and they have become oxidized all around the
sealing part of the rim. Take your tire to a local tire shop and have
them dismount it for you and take it home. You will see all the
oxidation on the inside of the rim once the tires off.
> Then take a good scotch brite pad and run it around both sides of the
bead until it becomes smooth again. Your hands might get quite a work
out but its been a year now and my spare is still holding up.