[DML] Re: Over revving Auto.

Dear Chris,
Check the transmission fluid level when the PRV is hot. Fan should cycle on
and off.
is it low?
Is the color red?
Does the fluid smell burnt?
Can you notice small metal shavings when you wipe off the dip stick?

Remember that the hoses are now 18 or even 19 years old. Your car could have
developed a leak somewhere around the hoses. Transmission fluid does not
evaporate so you could have developed as leak.
Dextron II is no longer available use Dextron III. WHEN you change the fluid
it is necessary to "flush" out the dextron II and refill the unit with
Dextron III. That means changing approx. 9 quarts inside the transmission
torque converter, pan, etc. The pan holds 3.9 qt.
I have an Automatic LHD #3713 Sept 81 Build. My car was in storage for 14
neglected years. The car was covered with dust, etc., etc. Needless to say
that it required a lot of work. The original owner thought he was preserving
the car by storing it and forgetting about it.
On my way home the day that I took delivery the transmission started to shift
all over the place. It would jerk, then down shift. Then immediately it would
up shift, then down again. It was a long, slow ride home.
When I arrived home I changed the transmission filter, gaskets and both
fluids. While I was "inside" the transmission I changed out the transmission
computer. These computers have a tendency to fail without notice. I keep an
extra on hand. This could be the problem with your automatic. I have heard
from other automatic transmission owners who have complained about their
transmission troubles. The first problem area for the automatics are usually
the computer assembly.
Furthermore my automatic transmission was not happy with the new fluids
filter and computer. Shortly thereafter the unit broke an internal drum and
the internal clutches followed. The replacement was in the area of $4,000.
Evidently driving on the bad computer causes the internal components to
develop hairline cracks inside.
I doubt that "Dusty" needs a new computer. Hopefully it needs new fluids and
filter kit.

Best Regards,
Mike