[DML] My weekend DeLorean story.....(long)

[DML] My weekend DeLorean story.....(long)

Dear DML members,
I just have to share my weekend experience with you all. I flew down to
DeLorean Services on Saturday to pick up my D. DMC Joe has had it for the
past couple of weeks to take care of a few problems with my car that I have
been having since September. Let me start of by saying they did EXCELLENT
work on my car and I am very pleased with the results thus far. I can't wait
to put more miles on my D! It ran flawlessly from Peachtree City, GA to
Winston-Salem, NC. My D has never operated better and it is nice to have her
back up to standards. The engine compartment is also back to almost brand
new condition thanks to Alan, he is an excellent engine detail person! For
that matter, thanks for all the extra attention you gave to my D.
As some of you in the Southeast know, there was a terrible winter storm
on Saturday afternoon/evening and my hope was to beat the bad weather and get
safely back to NC before the bad weather began. My hopes were crushed and I
was caught in the blizzard (the worst part of the blizzard) between
Greenville, SC and Charlotte, NC. The road was getting covered quickly by
the snow and I was getting more worried by the second. I pulled off the road
to fill her up with gas as the tank was getting near empty. After a quick
gas up I once again started heading north on I-85, my hope was to quickly
find a motel to wait out the storm. As I pulled back on the interstate I
noticed the road was almost completely covered with snow. Before I knew it I
had lost all steering control!!!! The weight of the engine in back rotated
the D around about 270 degrees as I slid all the way across the North bound
lane of I-85 and finally about 100 feet down the road glided into the grassy
median!!!! Someone up there was watching over me as no cars were around me
and there were no guardrails to collide with. Myself, my passenger (my
mother) and the car were all fine.....just a little surprised and shook-up.
I simply started her right back up and pulled back onto the road and began to
make my way toward the closest exit and gas station very carefully. I know
some of you must be thinking that I am crazy and just must want to wreck
again, but I didn't feel like freezing to death and waiting for someone to
come crash into me on the side of the interstate. I finally found a Texaco
and parked my D safely under the cover of the gas pumps. Within an hour a
local man in a rollback showed up. Once again incredible luck!!!! I got him
to load up the D and take us to the next exit a few miles north to find a
motel. We got one of the last rooms available. I'll make the end of the
story short, we left this morning (Sunday) at around noon and made it back
safely to Winston-Salem about 2:30 this afternoon. I want to thank Joe,
Alan, and fellow DML'er Bill Lane for being concerned with our safety on the
trip home. I'm sorry I worried you guys and couldn't update you sooner on
our whereabouts and condition when stranded, but it makes me feel good that
there are such caring people out there in the DeLorean community.
I learned one thing from all of this. Don't go traveling in your D when bad
weather is forecasted!!!!

Keep the dream alive and be safe,
Darren Decker
VIN 5000