[DML] Re: DeLorean model

At 06:36 PM 1/17/00 EST, you wrote:
>I am also searching for a DeLorean model or R/C car. I have seen one for the
>Back to the Future DeLorean, but I want just the actual DeLorean.
>
>John Feldman

>Before posting messages or replies, see the posting policy rules at:
>www.dmcnews.com/Admin/rules.html

>moderator@xxxx

>eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/dmcnews/

reply:

As it happens I produced a limited edition 1/24th scale DeLorean model.
It has working Gullwing doors, detailed trunk and rear louver/engineCVR.
It also features a metal brushed skin and full detailed interior.

The limited edition seamed sold out a few months ago and was closed by
pre release sale to DML members only, how ever a few edition owners never
paid for their editions, so these are still available.

For more details go to:

http://www.totalimmersion.com/silver6.html

The current DML member price is still $140+shipping and ins.
The current street price is $400

I should explain that In real life I am the CEO of a software company and
DeLorean owner. Some how I got my self involved in producing the DeLorean
model as a casual interest in the form of a kitchen table project. I limited the
number of kits to 100 as I thought that was about all I could reasonably do
with out resorting to traditional plastic kit manufacturing. As it has turned
out the project has taken nearly two years and I am still working on that original
100 kits. Producing the kit and all that entailed to the quality level I wanted was far beyond any thing I expected in terms of time and expense. I am happy to say that the project is finally on the home stretch. This is a labor of love as all the edition owners who have received their kits can attest. The kits are as much an artistic effort as they are an accurate plastic rendering of the DeLorean DMC-12.

The kits are 100% hand made with the exception of a few donor parts, I have made dies to produce the Bodies modeled in dimension after my own DeLorean, this includes the Gullwing doors, hoods and louver/engineCVR.. ... I have worked out my own polymer formulas and built a pressure curing machine. I also make the kit box with six side full color printing which includes the edition owner's name and DMC Vin number and License plate, and the shipping box which also carries the DeLorean label and edition identification number. The kit includes a 56 page bound (by hand) manual with full color illustrations of the assembly that includes the edition owners name and edition number which was written by two of our DML members.

The down side of this project has been time. In our modern instant order instant delivery mass produced world of mass produced, mass marketed goods and services there seams little room for anything hand made. The fact of the matter is that there is still a wait even for the last few kits available. Not as long as some have waited but a wait never the less. The basic reason is simple, I work on the kits in the evenings and on weekends.

Fumblefinger

AKA Lee

CAUTION : Any individual or group discharging a nuclear device or weapon
inside Los Angeles city limits may be fined $500 - and/or serve 30 days in county jail.

It's the LAW!