[DML] Re: Vortec swap & engine removal (kinda long)

[DML] Re: Vortec swap & engine removal (kinda long)

Gus,

Removing the engine in the DeLorean is really simple. If I remember
correctly, there are only 4 bolts to the bellhousing, 3 bolts on the
flywheel, and the 2 motor mounts. Then just uplug the electrical connectors
from the panel and it comes right out. I was, however, using a friends air
compressor to remove the bolts quickly. I also borrowed an engine hoist to
make it easier. I started @ 11:32 and finished up @ 2:08. (Keeping a
journal)

I know the PRV upgrade from Houston is in the development stages now but
there is also another consideration. What about the transmission? This will
(should) need to be upgraded as well. It's only rated for 250 hp and IMHO
that's really pushing it. Most automatic owners will agree, the trans
dosen't hold up well in stock trim. (of course, its usually related to the
computer governor failure)

Like I said, I'm not trying to start any flames but I'm going with the Chevy
because I've owned them and they have given me no problems. (Once again,
this is just my opinion) 1. The Chevy Vortec 4.3 is a proven good engine.
2. If anything goes wrong with it, there is a huge number of people who
could help you (I know most DeLorean owners can relate to the "No way, I'm
not touchin' a DeLorean) 3. Big aftermarket of performance parts 4.
Starting out with more stock horsepower compared to 'modified' horsepower.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very glad that Stephen is finally giving the stock
engine the power it deserves, but when something goes wrong with the
modified engine, it will be much harder and expensive to work on. Also, if
you blow the engine in the DeLorean, you would pay at least $4,000 for a new
one or around $2,800 for a rebuild (roughly) If I blow up the Vortec, no
prob, just go buy another one locally for $600 to $850 (Vortec engines are
readily available) or I can just take it in to a local shop and have it
rebuilt. (anyone who has checked on rebuilding a DeLorean engine knows the
pain it can be to find someone to tackle a job like that. (Well, unless you
live near a 'D service center) I have had ALOT of support from other
owners who are considering such a job for the same reasons I am and I'm
posting this info so they don't get discouraged. It is very feasable to do
a job like this and I would like to say thank you to everyone who has helped
me and has supported me with this project.

Thanks,

Duke