[DML] Re: Lowering the DMC-12

Lee wrote:
<SNIP>
> My DMC-12 looks great with just the right slope, and handles like a dream
<SNIP>

Slope? I think the original design had the car level. Which is why
when the springs were changed for DOT specifications, the ENTIRE CAR was
raised. This was done to keep the car level.

<SNIP>
> Don't screw around with cutting and swapping, springs it's wrong, and
> potentially harmful. Just buy the new front end springs, and what ever you
> do don't just lower the whole car. It not only trashes a wonderful design
> it also will mess up the handling while driving.
<SNIP>

I agree, I had the cut and swap springs on my car, and replaced them
with after market lowering springs. (My old cut/swapped ones are for
sale if you want them!)

The cut and swap does fix the high speed "float" problem, but because
the front springs are moved to the back, the back of the car was not
stiff enough. The front springs were not designed to handle the weight
of the back.

I agree that most of the improvement in performance is to lower the
front, but with respect, I disagree with your (Lee's) statement
"...don't just lower the whole car." Although I would consider it OK to
just lower the front, I think the correct method of returning the
DeLorean to it's Lotus designed specifications is to lower the entire
car- keeping it level. The nose is not supposed to slope down.