[DML] Re: Vortec install and update (was PRV tuning)

[DML] Re: Vortec install and update (was PRV tuning)

John,

I wanted to voice my opinion for the other side of the coin.

The engine swap isn't that difficult. I do not have any major mechanical
skills, just alot of common sense and ALOT of great support from Mike Bell
and Darryl Tinnerset. With their advice and advice of Vortec owners, my
swap has been extremely painless. The whole swap could be completed in 3-4
days with the right parts.

So far, I've invested $1,600. $1,000 for the bellhousing & beefed up auto
transmission and $600 for the engine, wiring harness, and computer. That's
a heck of alot cheaper than you would pay for a stock DeLorean engine and
the Vortec is rated @ 220 hp stock. You would have to put alot more money
into the D to get that kind of hp and you would have to pay to beef up the
trans as well (at least the auto) I will have to have custom mounts made
and an oil pan as well (easy enough). Once the mounts and pan are made, I
will have to wire it in (which is not a difficult task) and that's it. For
the exhaust I will be using block style headers to go out where the stock
exhaust did.

Here's my time frame. It took me 2 1/2 hours to take the rear facia, rear
louver, engine cover, and engine out. When I got the engine out I called it
a day. This weekend I will take out the stock trans and install the new
trans and bellhousing. I'm guessing it shouldn't take more than 2 1/2 to 3
hours. Next week I will have to have the oil pan made and mounts as well.
Then next saturday I can install the engine and take the rest of saturday
and all of sunday to wire it up. To be honest, it will probably not be
going in next weekend because I want to build the engine and get about
250-270 hp out of it so I have to send it out to a shop.

There are alot of advantages to this engine swap. The best being it is a
newer engine ('94) and is a Chevy which you can find parts for anywhere the
same day and at a cheaper cost. It will have alot more horsepower, it will
be dependable horsepower and BEST of all, I can jump into the D and go
anywhere I want to. (No flames please; I know some owners can do that now
and their car is very dependable but, this has not been my experience and
I've owned my D for 14 years)

I'm sure flames aheadin' my way but what it all comes down to is people's
opinion and this is just mine.

Thanks,

Duke