[DML] All those abbreviations

Hi all,

Following this list, I often saw abbreviations. Because I'm not used toread,
write or speak english a lot, some abbreviations kept me puzzled, some I could
guess from the sentence. I´m sure there are more foreigners with the same
problem.

In order to help them I'm sending this list that explains many abbreviations. I
found this list on the RENNLIST (Porsche list). There was a note in this posting
that said: "this list was compiled and is maintained by Kathy Kennel ofthe
Mercedes list".

AAV = All Activity Vehicle (what MBUSI calls the M-Class)
ABC = Auto Body Control (on the W220 S-Class)
ABD = Automatic Braking Differential
AMG = Customizer of M-B cars; stands for Aufrecht, Melcher, Grossapach
ABS = Anti-lock Brake System
ACC = Automatic Climate Control
AFAIK = As Far As I Know
ASR = Acceleration Slip Reduction
ATF = Automatic Transmission Fluid
BAS = Braking Assist System
BTDT = Been There, Done That
BTW = By The Way
CAN = Controller Area Network
CAT = Catalytic Converter
CDI = Common (Rail) Direct Injection
CO = Carbon Monoxide
DBAG = Daimler-Benz Aktiengesellschaft
DCAG = DaimlerChrysler Aktiengesellschaft
DI = Direct Injection
DIY = Do It Yourself
DK = Don't Know
DOHC = Dual OverHead Cams
DRL = Daytime Running Lights
ESP = Electronic Stabilization Program (also 4-ESP on 4-wheel drive
vehicles)
ETR = Emergency Tensioning Retractors (seatbelt part)
ETR = Evaporator Temperature Regulator (climate control part)
ETS = Electronic Traction System (also 4-ETS on 4-wheel drive vehicles)
FI = Fuel Injection
FS = For Sale
FSS = Flexible Service System (that little "wrench" light on the dash)
FUBAR = "Fouled" Up Beyond All Repair
FWIW = For What It's Worth
FWD = Front Wheel Drive
FYI = For Your Information
HC = HydroCarbons
HFM = Hot-Film Mass-airflow (sensor)
HP = Horse Power
HTH = Hope This Helps
HTML = HyperText Markup Language (forbidden on this list!)
HTTP = HyperText Transfer Protocol
HVAC = Heating, Ventilation, & Air Conditioning
IANAL = I Am Not A Lawyer (usually followed by "but" and a legal opinion)
IAW = In Accordance With
IMHO = In My Humble Opinion
IMNSHO = In My Not So Humble Opinion
IMO = In My Opinion
IP = Injection Pump
LOL = Laughing Out Loud
LSD = Limited Slip Differential
NOS = New Old Stock
NOx = Oxides of Nitrogen
OBD = On-Board Diagnostics
OD = Outside Diameter
OTOH = On The Other Hand
PITA = Pain In The -- well, you know...
PO = Previous Owner
PM = Preventive Maintenance
PS = Power Steering
RKE = Remote Keyless Entry
ROTFL = Rolling On The Floor, Laughing
RTFM = Read The "Funny" Manual
RTM = Read The Manual
S/B = Should Be
SNAFU = Situation Normal, All "Fouled" Up
SOHC = Single OverHead Cam
SRS = Supplemental Restraint System (airbags & belt tensioners)
SUV = Sport Utility Vehicle
TIA = Thanks In Advance
TDC = Top Dead Center
TDM = Technical Data Manual
TO = Trap Oxidizer
TSB = Technical Service Bulletin
TTYL = Talk (or Type) To You Later
URL = Uniform Resource Locator (website address)
VBG = Very Big Grin
VIN = Vehicle Identification Number
WOB = Waste of Bandwidth (a message that's irrelevant)
WRT = With Regards To
WTB = Want To Buy
WTG = Way To Go!
WX = Weather
YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary
3PSIAC = Three-Pointed Star In A Circle (The Mercedes-Benz logo)

:-) Smile
;-) Wink
:-D Laughing, big smile
:-( Frown