[DML] Re: Color on exhaust manifolds/catalytic converter

[DML] Re: Color on exhaust manifolds/catalytic converter

Where did this misconception come from? stainLESS steel... NOT stainPROOF
steel. sufficient heat, caustic, or oxidizing substance will cause
deterioration. While stainless steel is far more resistant to oxidation than
"carbon" steel, if subjected to 1000+ degrees, and a blast of oxygen,
sulpher, NOx... plus a few unburned hydrocarbons... it will rust. The
headers on my drag boat are stainless steel... they will last 1 season...
about 25 minutes of running... before oxidation eats holes in them... Our
15+ year old exhaust systems are going to show some rust. It's a credit to
JZD that they lasted this long.