[DML] Re: Some answers to Questions regarding Stainless Steel Frame Stre

[DML] Re: Some answers to Questions regarding Stainless Steel Frame Strength (was History Channel Documentory)

Given the general concern about stainless steel frame cracking, I
dropped a message off to Bryan Pearce from Pearce Design (
http://www.pearce-design.com ) The designer and maker of the Perma
Frame.
Here is his reply to me, I am posting it to the DML list to help get
information out to where it will be used :-)

Just as a side note, I am not affiliated with Bryan Pearce, or Pearce
Design. I'm just a DeLorean enthusiast working towards his chance to
Live the Dream ....

-Josh S.
now.here@xxxx
DeLorean Enthusiast
vin: not just yet ...
-------------------------------
I was part of that strange race of people aptly described as spending
their lives doing things they detest to make money they don't want to
buy things they don't need to impress people they dislike. -- Emile
Henry Gauvreay

----- Begin Forwarded Message --------
Hello Joshua,

>Dear Bryan,
> There is a current thread on the DML which has noted problems with
>Stainless Steel cracking at extremely low temperatures, not being
>familiar with the properties of stainless as a frame material, I
>figured rather than going by heresay I would go to one who has spent
>obviously tremendous amounts of effort in the design of a replacment
>stainless steel frame for the DeLorean, and used it in the (shall I
>say cold?) Illinois winters.

I usually try to follow the list, but I am about 10 months behind.
Yes,
I have had the DeLorean out in some pretty nasty conditions.

>As I fully expect the potential of having to replace the frame at some
>point of any D that I purchase due to rust problems, your frame
appears
>to be an extremely good alternative to a rusted out frame, and
>clarification on a quote by Claude ( email:CBL302@xxxx vin? 000570)
>regarding stainless as a frame material from your perspective as an
>engineer in stainless and supporter of the DeLorean marquee would be
>helpful.

I will try to be as helpful as possible.

>Claude said on Sat 13 Nov 1999:
>"Sorry,if it sounds that way,but Lotus Should have run extensive tests
>on that process [epoxy coating the steel frame] before it was used on
>our Deloreans,after all JZD already knew the reason why he did not
> want
>to use a Stainless Steel frame was,because of possible frame cracking
>at certain sub-zero temperatures so at the last moment he decided to
>go with the epoxy coated frames instead,Who knows maybe the DMC2,
>may be created as originally planned.(If it is ever created)."

Actually, during some correspondence with John DeLorean, he mentioned
that they were never able to get the Stainless Steel frame to pass a
stress test. The Stainless would crack. He did not mention failure
specific to just cold temperatures.

>Is this cracking a problem that is likely to happen with a PermaFrame?

This was a concern when we began the design of the PermaFrame so it was
important to try and determine what forces were being exerted on the
frame to cause it to crack. Obviously, unless energy can be disbursed
adequately across the surface of any material, something has to give.
Two key problems existed with the original Stainless frame. First, the
radius of the bends in the material were too tight. Second, spot welds
were used to hold the frame together. Correcting both of these
problems has resulted in a great frame for the DeLorean. We currently
have a car with over 70,000 miles on the PermaFrame without any
problems.

>Is it that the original design with the thinner stainless that is
>likely to have been used in the original stainless frame likely to
>have been the problem?

More likely are the items mentioned above.

>Are you familiar with what kind of temperatures would
>be likely to cause that kind of problem in stainless steel?

Not sure about this, but if you make any material cold enough it will
be more likely to crack or shatter. I have had the car out on -50
degree nights before and not experienced any problems.

>Any light
>you would be able to shed onto this subject for me and other members
>of the DML would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for
>your time and assistance.

I hope that I was able to provide the answers you were looking for.
Take care and enjoy your DeLorean.

Bryan Pearce
------ End forwarded Message --------------