[DML] D questions!

Hello to everyone! I've subscribed to this newsgroup for about 4 weeks and
have been impressed by the networking regarding the car. For the longest
time, I've been under the impression that D owners were far-and-few
inbetween, but someone told me about this newsgroup. I'm thrilled to see
such interest!

I have a couple questions...

1. Can someone explain the Volvo connection better? I find many people
refer to the powerplant as a Peugot/Renault/Volvo engine, and that a number
of car parts can be found through Volvo dealerships?

2. I am interested in driving a D to get a better feel for it. It's one
thing to know stats on it, but I'd like to try behind the wheel! Does
anyone know of a rental company in Portland, OR that would rent-a-D for a
day? I WILL own one one day, but would like to know how they drive. I'd ask
my neighbor who has one, but he doesn't drive his (bad idea!).

Thanks for the input!

-tony "try to convince people that the D is one of the best cars/concepts
ever created" petrarca