[DML] PRV cleaning/Rust Management/Misc

Hi,
I am probably going to be cleaning out the engine of my 81 before winter starts, and I was wandering what the best way to do this is. In my previous cars, I just plastic wrapped all electric wiring, sensors, and the alternator, then sprayed on purple power, let it sit, and hosed it clean. Is this safe for the Delorean? Is there a better product to use? The engine has never been cleaned it looks like, so I don't want to mess anything up.
Now my second question: Is naval jelly and rustoleum a good way to go when de-rusting (is that a word :) and rust-proofing the frame and muffler? I would like to get this done before winter also, on my Fiero, I just naval jellied up all the rust, scraped and sprayed it off, then coated it with lots of rustoleum primer followed by a few coats of Rustoleum paint. It worked quite well.
My last question is: Why doesn't my engine release lever work completely? To open the engine, I have to have a friend hold the lever out while I open the engine from the back.
Any help is appreciated.
thanks,
Mike Schaefer