[DML] Re: New coolant bottle

At 06:41 AM 11/22/99 PST, you wrote:

>Hello,
>I hear that there is a lot of after-market aluminium/stainless steel coolant
>bottles for the DeLorean to replace the original plastic one which are prone
>to cracking.
>
>Now, what is the difference between the available ones from DMC Houston,
>DeLorean One, PJ Grady??? Any recommendations?
>
>I have heard that some coolant bottles are 100% like the original, others
>are rumoured to be painted black
>(Hard to see the coolant level with this one, perhaps?)
>
>What supplier is the best to use regarding the BEST coolant bottle?
>
>Best wishes
>Stian Birkeland
>NORWAY

I would Like to take a stab at this subject.

All the after market coolant bottles I know of meet the first of two
requirements. The dimensional and functional specifications. This means
volume, connection size and placement are correct. The second issue is
quality of the unit. This is something that can only be determined by
getting a unit and trying it out. All the metal units are welded, so
leaking can only occur if the welds are poor. This could very from unit to
unit.

I replaced my coolant bottle right after getting my "D" with a stainless
unit from PJ Grady. It has functioned as it should, and looks good too.

I would not replace a coolant bottle with another plastic unit. The reason
being that a coolant bottle failure means you are stuck until it is
repaired or replaced. I have never heard of a metal bottle failing.

The only other item of note would be hose clamp replacement, I would
suggest all "Stainless" clamps of the right size. I did this on my "D"
replacing every clam in the car with a stainless version. As I recall this
cost something like $42. I have not had a single drop of fluid leakage
sense. And Yes I replaced many but not all the hoses with the best quality
I could find.

While I am not really well informed about the coolant it's self, Like oil I
have always changed it on a regular basis. For both I have always felt that
clean coolant and clean oil are the very best buy you can ever make. I
change my oil /and filter and coolant every month or every 1000 miles which
ever comes first. I follow the Mfg specs on both.

Lee

support@xxxx

NOTICE TO BULK EMAILER: Pursuant to US Code, Title 47, Chapter 5,
Subchapter II, 227, any and all unsolicited commercial e-mail sent
to this address is subject to a download and archival fee in the
amount of $500 US.
E-Mailing denotes acceptance of these terms.