[DML] Engine swaps in violation of EPA law?

[DML] Engine swaps in violation of EPA law?

Many years ago I wanted to replace the anemic 260 CID engine in my
1980 Oldsmobile Cutlass with the Olds version of the 350 CID, exterior
block size the exact size of the 260, the only differences being bore and
stroke, and valve and valve port sizes, so no problem fitting.

BUT, as I pursued the idea I found that at least by 1980 all passenger cars
(trucks were exempt for a while) sold in the US were required to be tested
and certified by EPA standards for emissions for any particular engine and
transmission configuration. Not EVERY car had to be tested, but a class
representation had to be. According to EPA law, that configuration can NOT
be altered in ANY way (even including exhaust) without further EPA testing
and certification. Every reputable mechanic I questioned about this engine
swap refused to do it because they said it was in violation of EPA law without
the required EPA testing and recertification (at least here in Virginia).

So, would someone please explain how the Northstar, et al, swaps are legally
done? Here in Virginia we have a mandatory state inspection and to pass the
inspection the engine/transmission MUST be entirely original, without any
modification according EPA standards of testing for that particular car's
original configuration, even including the exhaust system. For example, you
cannot even legally install dual exhausts on a car that originally had a
single exhaust system, even if you install dual catalytic converters. Unless,
of course, you are is willing to fork out thousands of dollars to have the car
retested AND certified by the EPA to establish new EPA specs. Local and/or
state regulations for emissions testing ARE NOT necessarily the same as EPA
testing and certification. EPA certification includes applying a EPA label in
the engine compartment for that car's EPA approved configuration, not simply
testing exhaust emissions.

BTW, for Bryan, according to DMC's original specs, the base engine torque was
established to be 160 lb-ft @ 2750 rpm, "Road & Track" and some others claimed
162 lb-ft @ 2750 rpm, yet another found 173 lb-ft @ 3000 rpm.

Regards,
Ed Thompson (#6419 since 1982)