[DML] Re: DOD and DeLorean production chronology analysis

[DML] Re: DOD and DeLorean production chronology analysis

> From: Marc A Levy [mailto:malevy@xxxx]

> While on the DOD... When the directory started it was available for
> download by anyone on the DOD list. Will it ever be again?
>
> I am not clear on how or why the DOD has changed over the past year or
> so. It went from a free on-line publication for the participants
only,
> to a list that can be viewed by anyone (a invasion of privacy) and a
$5
> charge for the complete printed copy (who is making money on the
> distribution of my personal information?) Frankly, this is not what I
> signed up for. I see there is still a "DMC-News Members Only Lounge",
> but is this still active and up to date? (I dont remember
> the Password)
>
> I would like to see the DOD return to how it was presented.
> The option of a printed copy for a small copy/mail charge should be
made
> available, but the "Listed Owners" page should be modified to include
less
> information.

As keeper of the DeLorean Owners Directory, let me address these issues
one at a time:

The DOD was first available through a passworded area on the DMCnews
website (The Lounge). James E. didn't have the time to keep the DOD
updated so it and The Lounge fell by the wayside. We are working on
getting the DOD on-line again. We can't do it the way James did it
because we're on a totally different web server and the programs don't
work there. We're right in the middle of testing out new programs. You
may see links to secure access on the DMCnews website, but it's not
ready.

We're charging $5 for a printed copy of the DOD because we made 100
copies in time for the DOA St. Louis Expo but we only sold a dozen
copies. It cost $350 to make those copies. I'll let you do the math.
With tax on the printing and mailing costs, $5 was a nice round number.
So far we've sold 7 more copies and that will probably be about it.
We'll cover the loss in other ways (sales of the t-shirts etc.) and only
make the next version available in an electronic format. We MAY have
another printed version for the Cleveland show, but only if it's paid
for with advertising.

It's been a long road to get the DOD back into shape, and there's still
a long way to go. Yes, we know many of the entries are out of date and
some that people have sent in are not there. I get questions all the
time from people who say they've sent their entry 3 times. I look
through the old email and never find them listed. Updates to the DOD
should be on a quarterly basis. The next version should come out in
January. That will be the one I'll want to post to the net.

I'm really sorry if the name list on the DOD page is a problem. Don't
even get me started about 'invasion of privacy' issues. Some of us
discussed what to include and we didn't think there would be a problem
as long as nothing but city and state info was included. Opinions
everyone??

Remember guys, 'we' (the moderators and other people working behind the
scenes at DMCnews) are just individuals on the DML, like you. Try not to
beat on us too hard. We just want to keep the DML running. We make this
stuff up as we go along. None of us are experts in moderation or
security or any of this. It's great when it works, we're sorry when it
doesn't.

Ken Montgomery	Sacramento, CA VIN #10911 'OUTTIME'
http://www.jps.net/arkham/delorean01.htm mailto:kenm@xxxx
Northern California DeLorean Motor Club
http://members.tripod.com/ncdmc/
Keeper of the DeLorean Owners Directory