[DML] Re: So what are the 0-60 times?

> Robert Brandys wrote:
>
> The delorean ignition system falls apart at about 4,700 ON ALL CARS. We
> think it is the coil. The cars have the ability to go to 5,500 rpm
> easily. Since the distribution does not have points, it has to be the
> coil.

Bob, would you explain where exactly you got your information?

According to extensive road tests on a stock factory DeLorean as reported
by "Road & Track" magazine they found the following:

1st gear: 6500 rpm - 40 MPH (no ignition problems so far)
2nd gear: 6500 rpm - 64 MPH (still no ignition problems)
3rd gear: 6500 rpm - 98 MPH (near peak of the torque range, still no ignition problems)
4th gear: 5600 rpm - 109 MPH (torque falls apart here)
5th gear: 4400 rpm - 109 MPH (top achievable speed - torque gave out already,
unable to push the car beyond 109 MPH, but still no ignition problems)

It appears obvious to me that if the stock original DeLorean had been fitted with
an engine with a little more HP and torque it could have easily achieved the touted
130+ MPH. As it is, it appears that, as stock, the scientific test results as
reported by "Road & Track" are more realistic than the "dreamers" want to believe.

Regards,
Ed Thompson (believed to be somewhat of a "realist" and a D owner/driver since 1982)
Midlothian, VA
USA