[DML] Re: Another Giugiaro Design Influence?

[DML] Re: Another Giugiaro Design Influence?

Actually, the earlier prototype for this car (the M1) DID have gullwing
doors and VERY DeLorean-esque windows. It was simply called the BMW Turbo
and was introduced in 1973. For more info (not much more) see "The Best Of
Motor Trend", their 50th Anniversary Special. This magazine also has two
pictures of and some words about the DeLorean. The M1 was a very limited
production car with only 457 examples produced. It did NOT have a V8 or
V12 and Ferrari had nothing to do with the design. The engine was
essentially the 3.4 from the 635CSi. For more info on the M1, see "The
Ultimate Classic Car Book" by our friend Quentin Willson. This book also
has a couple unfriendly pages (but nice pictures) about the DeLorean.

Now, if you want to see another prototype that looks ALOT like the
DeLorean, look up the Ford Mustang RSX designed by GHIA in the late
70s/early 80s. This can be found on page 240 of "The Complete Book of
Mustang". The doors may not be gullwings (can't tell from the picture) but
the windows look identical to the DeLorean.

--Rob Hook