[DML] Re: re-gassed struts

Martin writes:
(SNIP)
I asked him for a price and he said 42 pounds per PAIR of struts. That
is including return international shipping. Simply send your sagging
struts to Dave with a cheque for 42 pounds (which equals 69 dollars -
slightly more than the cost of ONE new strut from DMC Houston) and he'll send you a pair of re-gassed struts by return.
(SNIP)

I was talking to Ron Grady about this and he said this topic came over the weekend at the tech seminar at the SEDOC event in Atlanta. He talked about the lifespan of the regassesd struts as about one year ONLY.

I talked to Steven at DMC Hoston and he said the same thing, that the problem is the shafts on the struts get pitted over time, microscopically pitted, but pitted nonetheless, and thats why the gas leaks out. I can see thats why re-gassing would only last a year, where new struts with new shafts would last longer.

Seems like re-gassing is a losing proposition to me, especially considering its $70 per pair, plus I have to pay to send the olds ones to England...what do I do until they come back, build up my arm muscles opening the doors without a strut on it? And if he only does them in batches of 30, it may be awhile before I get them back, too!

Eric the naysayer