[DML] Re: clutch cable/clutch master cylinder

[DML] Re: clutch cable/clutch master cylinder

> I am waiting to see if the changing the clutch line is the answer.
>
> Does this sound like a master/slave cylinder problem or a clutch cable
> problem, or is this a problem that has to be witnessed to diagnose?

This is definitely *not* a clutch cable problem, since DeLoreans don't have clutch cables.
When shifting is affected by temperature, it is often because the polymer hydraulic line has
softened. Make sure to replace it with the braded steel line. However, replacing the line is
usually not cheaper than replacing the master and slave cylinders!

There is quite a bit of information about this in the DML Back Issues.

http://www.dmcnews.com/

My mechanic told me that the DOT 4 fluid used by British cars wears out master/slave cylinders
faster than the DOT 3 fluid used in American cars. It has to do with its chemistry and
tendency to absorb water. He told me to expect to replace the master/slave cylinders
regularly.

Does anyone know if he is right?

- Mike Substelny