[DML] Re: Winter storage (was fuel update)

[DML] Re: Winter storage (was fuel update)

.how
>do people store their cars for the winter? should it be in a heated
>garage with carpet or doesnt it matter. I heard that cement sweats
>during the winter and that water will get in my frame..
This is one of those "how much do you want to do?" questions. If your
garage is heated and climate controlled - wonderful. However, the number
of DeLoreans stored in such an environment are very few. So, let's get
realistic.

FUEL: The single most important thing to worry about if your car is to be
stored for the winter is to take care of the fuel system. Fill the tank
just before you put up the car for the winter and be sure to add some fuel
stabilizer according to the directions on the product. In addtion, I
suggest you run the car for 10 to 20 minutes once per month during the
winter. Run it long enough to have the fans come on at least once.

TIRES: Avoid those flat spots by having the car up on jack stands. If you
don't do this, at least make some movement of the tires periodically (like
when you run the car once a month) so that there is a different point of
contact between the tires and the concrete.

MOISTURE: If that is a real problem in your area, a piece of old carpet
might not be a bad idea. Also, get some moisture aborber at your local
Home Depot or the like and use according to directions.

BATTERY: Either have a battery tender type of device or disconnect the
battery during long periods of storage.

CRITTERS: Often a problem. D-Con or some other form of critter control is
a very good measure.

Of course, if you really have some money to spend, you might look into the
Carcoon sold by DMC Houston.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867

PS Oh, one more thing, make sure you go into the garage and pet your DMC
and talk to it every so often to let it know you still care!