[DML] Re: Air conditioning Charge

As many have stated (in the back log) in the every so often A/C refrigerant
debate, "don't change from R-12 because R-134 is less efficient and will not
work as well." Well, I can speak from experience as my DeLorean has been
converted to R-134. The system works very well. I have to even turn the
system down as it becomes too cold at times.

Both R-12 and R-134 are viable products. If the system is working properly,
why bother change. However, if the owner wishes to change the system to
R-134, after the initial cost (about $150 for me), you shouldn't have any
other concerns.

Many of the comparisons of how well the 134 works have been made based on
experiences on other car types. The DeLorean cockpit is very small and
therefore has a smaller volume to cool than most other car types. Maybe in
vehicles that have a large volume to cool, the efficiency of the 134 would
be an important issue, but in the DeLorean (at least mine), the temp. is as
cool as you want it to be.

You know what everybody says about opinions...

Sean Howley
VIN#2345

> It is possible to convert the DeLorean system (which is an off the shelf
GM air conditioner) to R134, but you will wind up with a higher failure
rate of components (due to the high pressure) and probably a less
effective air conditioner.>