[DML] Re: 350 in a D?

> "Hart, Paul" wrote:
>
> I am a GM fan. Yet I would have to say that even though all this might be
> possible, you wouldn't go too far on a tank of gas.
> I am also the 2nd owner of a 1974 Stingray show-car (67,000+ miles) that
> shares daily driver duty with my 81 D (5,011 miles). The Vette only gets
> 10.13 mpg with the L82 engine and Quad4, while the D is providing 19.37
> during my 3 weeks of ownership.

The Cadillac Northstar is essentially identical dimensionally to the 350
except for bore and stroke. I'm told the Northstar fits nicely in the
D and factory fresh is capable of producing in excess of 300 HP. Quite a
bit more power than any stock '74 Vette, including the the big block 454.
It is also capable of delivering in excess of 20 MPG.

Over the years there have been literally dozens of incarnations of the 350.
Anywhere from an anemic 120 HP version in the mid to late 70's to over
500 HP. As an aside, I have a stock 1984 Vette 350 that averages 25-26 MPG
on the highway. Considerably better than my D gets. I also have a non-stock
'74 Vette with a 350-350 engine (from 1970) that get about 15 MPG. So it isn't
necessarily an accurate statement to say you wouldn't go far on a tank of gas
with a 350 in your D!

Regards,
Ed Thompson (#6419 since 1982)
Midlothian, VA