[DML] Air conditioning Charge

Last year when I was in Palm Springs, Ca. the air conditioning on my D failed to blow cold so I took it in to a shop that specializes in air service. He advised me to let him convert the system to an approved refrigerant. Not being an air conditioning expert I took his advice. It worked fine until this summer when again it needed service at my home in Washington State. I discovered he used a refrigerant called Freeze 12. (not freon) Now I cant find anyone in the area to service it. Was advised it would cost about $300 to convert it back. Anyone have any thought's or advice?? Thanks