[DML] Re: new engine

On Mon, 13 Sep 1999 cbl302@xxxx wrote:

> About the price of a used Delorean ($8000.00-$12000.00)

I'm not sure it's really that high. Can't you get a brand new engine from
dmc-houston for about $5000? I don't imagine that it would be $3000-$7000
in labor for something like that. Labor would probably be no more than
$1000 or $2000 at the very most. I never changed a DeLorean engine, but
usually it's a weekend job for an experienced mechanic to swap an engine
with an identical replacement.

You're still better off buying a DeLorean in good shape than trying to fix
one up with a blown engine if your goal is saving money. Normally a car
that has a blown engine will have a bunch of other stuff wrong with it too
- and if you don't fix whatever was wrong you might blow the new engine
too.

Of course, the allure of a project car is something which those that want
them don't need to have explained. :}