[DML] Super/Turbo Chargers

In the olden days, all we ever heard about, were "superchargers".  I owned a 37 Cord for 4 years with a supercharger.   It was shaft driven off the engine and had boost at ALL speeds.

Later they decided the exhaust of an engine could be made to run a blower to ram more air into the carbs for a lot less money.  It was most peoples opinion "at that time", that it was a Mickey Mouse arrangement and not the REAL THING.  However it DID work and many American and foreign cars used the system and still do.

I owned a 65 Corvair Corsa Turbo for quite a while.  I STILL havethe normally aspirated version Corvair.   That Turbo was not worth much at low speeds as it depended on the RPM's of the engine to get up its boost.   They were designed for 8 pounds of boost.  Sometimes we would watch the boost gauge while we revved up the engine and pop the clutch for lower speed acceleration.  I found that if floorboarded at 60MPH it would almost set you back in the rear seat, but you could not get away with driving that fast or faster.  So it was pretty worthless.

I have not owned a turbocharged De Lorean so I can't comment on those.

FWIW Department.

Murray
VIN:5962 Lic:DMC-XII
Washington State