[DML] Where does this Hose go?

There is this hose in my Engine compartment and I can't figure out where
it goes?

http://www.gate.net/~starbuck/hose.jpg

And there is a canister that is loose and the hose attached to it is
also loose. Is this some I need to fix?

Also in the Second photo I'm missing the In take hose..Is there a
substitute hose that I can use like off a dryer or is that a bad idea?

Jim Sleeth