[DML] Re: VIN #

Comet42483@xxxx writes:

<< Okay, There were supposedly 8,800 Deloreans made right?
Well mine says (on the drivers door sill) that it was made in November of
1981, but my VIN# is SCEDT26T6BD006974, wouldn't this mean that it was the
6,974th car built ? but if it is then why is the number so high, ? any
insight would be very helpful >>

You can't go by the vin numbers for "actual time" of production,after all the
first real vin starts with # 500 and the last vin is # 20104,that would mean
that 19,604 Deloreans were built,certainly not so,as you can see the only
thing the Vin # tells
you is basically when in sequence it was built,but NOT exactly how many
Deloreans were built before yours.Numbers were skipped,as my vin # is
000570,and I know there were not sixty nine cars built before mine (maybe 10
cars or so)but nobody
knows which numbers were skipped,therefore you must also use the date of
manufacture to guide you.

Claude
Vin#000570