[DML] Re: Antenna question

The first '81 Deloreans originally had windshield antennas. (P/N 100623).  Beginning with VIN 2711, the windshield was changed to one without an embedded antenna (P/N 110076) and the antenna was moved to the right front fender (Parts Bulletin PS-01-9/81).  Since the embedded antenna version of the windshield was no longer available, a replacement antenna kit (P/N A5000010) was made available for the early VIN cars that needed a replacement windshield. Service Bulletin ST-07-7/81 and its update, ST-12-9/81 gave installation instructions.

Parts Bulletin PI-04-12/81 (issued 12/17/81) states "A fully automatic rear mounted radio antenna is now being installed on all DeLoreans"...  It does not give a VIN breakpoint.  But it does state that this antenna is also available as a kit (P/N 111291) for any owner who wants to convert from either the embedded or right-front-fender mounted version.

My car has all three versions.  VIN 1141 came with (and still has) the embedded antenna in the windshield.  A replacement right front fender (crash by a previous owner) has the hole for the mast antenna (with a temporary plug until I begin restoration of the body).  And to overcome poor reception, I had the power antenna installed in the left rear.

Hank Breer