[DML] Re: Protecting Interior

At 1:47 PM -0500 8/27/99, Mike Substelny wrote:
>Windshield reflectors do more than just make it more
>comfortable to enter your car on a hot
>day! When you plan on preserving your car for
>the long term, you should use a windshield
>reflector year round. Some people use a car cover,
>but it seems a shame to cover up such a
>beautiful car when it is out in public.

We have, on average, 15 DeLoreans in the shop at any given time. During the
day, approximately half of these cars will sit outside in our parking lot.
To combat the heat, and more importantly, the UV rays, we have developed a
custom fitted sunshade for the the DeLorean.

Made of the same material as the "outdoor" model Carcoon (www.carcoon.com),
this material is specifically designed for protection against 100 pecent of
the UV rays. To keep the heat out of the car it goes on the OUTSIDE of the
windshield (the "magnifying glass"), and is held in place with elasticized
corners and secured with a striker pin loop. We've been testing the latest
version of the prototype sunshade over the course of the summer.

Some tests we ran here with a black interior car, with our custom sunshade
and without showed a temperature difference of over 80 degrees (215 degrees
F vs 130 degrees F) in open sun on a 95 degree day. A third car with an
"accordion" style reflective sunshade was still about 180 degrees F.

http://www.usadmc.com/sunshade.html

I've been chomping at the bit to begin offering it to DeLorean owners, but
Stephen has wanted to make sure that it is perfect. I expect it to be
available in time for the SEDOC "Cruise-In" as well as the Expo in St.
Louis.

I've been using one of the prototypes in my car over the summer and I think
it'll also help prevent the a-pillar trim deformation that is so common on
cars that spend any time in the sun.

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas