[DML] Problem with bad press

The problem with bad press is not so much the tabloid article itself, but what happens to it from that point on. Unfortunately, people in the "legitimate" press will then pick up on the theme and will repeat bad information.
Quintin's article is particularly dangerous, because it has a modicum of truth in it. If you wanted to verify the story, all you would have to do is look at the questions and problems vented on our list. It is absolutely true that DeLorean did skimp on some things and that the cars were not as good as they could have been. On the other hand, DeLorean was truly designing a different car that, as has been said, can and in many cases have been turned into a great, reliable sportscars.
As a columnist myself, I know when I do research, I would pick up on a story like Quintin's. But as a responsible writer, I'd also look at what others have had to say in the press, both accounts contemporary with the car and current writings. When you look at the DeLorean in the context of other small automakers creations, ours does come out near the top, both as a unique car that will have an important legacy and as a serviceable, drivable automobile.

David Levey
Cleveland