[DML] Re: antenna

In a message dated 8/17/99 10:56:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Comet42483@xxxx writes:

<< We have an 81 Delorean, with a metal antenna. It has a key to pull it out
of
the slot. is it a power antenna or not? Should it be?
Thanks

I have the same type of antenna. This was a DMC antenna that came out for
the front fender. There was the fixed mast type and the manual retracting
type. You can recess it by hand and then use the key to pull it back up.
The key is only a small pointed piece of metal that you put on a key ring
that you put in the tiny hole in the top of the antenna when it is down.
This allows you to get a grip on the antenna and pull it up. It is not an
ignition or car type key. More like a hand cuff key or something. These
manual retractable antennas were put out as an option for DMC owners with
front fixed mast antennas. Mine was in an original DMC bag when I got it.
They are available from all the major parts suppliers. Its nice to be able
to retract the front fender antenna even if it is by hand. My reception is
the same whether the antenna is up or down so I leave it recessed.

Gary Gore
Activities Director
DeLorean Mid Atlantic
http://hometown.aol.com/DeLorean31/dma.html