[DML] Re: DeLorean snow driving

There are a lot of comments on "snow driving" and here are mine:
- It doesn't make any difference how good the D is in snow if another driver
hits you.
- Snow and Ice are two substantially different driving conditions
- As any 4x4 driver can tell you, there is a world of difference between
acceleration and deceleration in snow and especially ice. Stopping is a lot
harder.
- If the tires aren't rotating you aren't getting the full capacity to stop.
- If the front tires aren't rotating you can't steer.
- The D is lighter up front than the rear making it easier for the front to
lock before the rear

My experience many years ago in my first D on snow left me with a very
uncomfortable feeling when trying decelerate in turns on snow or ice. But
acceleration was good! I only drove it once in the snow and ice.

- The frame is very susceptible to rusting if the epoxy is chipped, cracked
or the like.
- Salt + bare steel + water = rust
- The frame will rust from underneath the epoxy. The rust feeds on the
metal and it can go down the "middle" of epoxy-steel-epoxy sandwich.

All said and done, spend a couple $K (minimum) and find an alternative
vehicle. If not, put that money away to spend on the D when it needs to be
repaired from an accident or frame problems. Think of the D like many other
resources, that being something we use while we're here and pass on to the
next person.

Nick Kemp
Credentials: Minnesota snow and ice experienced. Rusty frame experienced