[DML] Re: wheres the prototype?

> Delorean17@xxxx wrote:
>

> I have recently been working on my DeLorean site and would like to
> add a section on the prototype DeLorean.
> Does anyone on the list know where this car is at or have any
> information concerning it? Any information would be greatly
> appreciated.

There were no less than 20 prototype DeLoreans built. The first one
(not the Fiat X 1/9), as designed by Giugiaro, was built by Kar Kraft
of Detroit. Later is was decided that a larger firm should be
employed so the project was moved to Creative Industries where the
second prototype was built. Both of these prototypes were built
under the watchful eye of Bill Collins.

When the decision was made to sign with Northern Ireland for the
production of the DeLorean, Bill Collins and company moved to
Norwich, England (about 100 miles northeast of London) after
JZD signed a deal with Lotus to further the development of the
car. Colin Chapman (founder of Lotus) and Collins didn't get
along and Collins later resigned. Under the direction of
Chapman, Lotus built at least another 18 DeLorean prototypes.

All of these prototypes were built in the image of the full
scale epoxy-wood model created by the Ital Design studios
under the direction of Giugiaro. Later a full scale pine
model was built by Design Caucus.

Some of the prototypes were used for pre-production promotion
and advertising (such as the C&D article). Some were used for
crash testing. Where are they? Who knows? Certainly some
were scrapped, but others are probably still around somewhere.
Most are probably still in England. Maybe a contact with
Lotus may bring results. Give it a try and let us know.

Ed Thompson (#6914 since 1982)

To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address moderator@xxxx