[DML] The Scoop on 5 Year Antifreeze

I have the answer to my own question

A technical representative (chemist?) from Prestone just called me back
and we had a nice chat about their Extended Life Antifreeze. She
apologized for the confising label on the jug.

More importantly, she assured me that it is safe to leave the new orange
colored antifreeze in my DeLorean for five years! It will protect the
aluminum much longer than the old green antifreeze.

They have some information on the Internet, including instructions on
switching from the green stuff to the orange stuff:

http://www.prestone.com/cooling/index.html

The page says, in part:

"Prestone® Extended Life 5/150
antifreeze/coolant provides
today's drivers with outstanding
freeze-up and boilover protection
for up to five years or 150,000
miles."

". . . is a silicate- and phosphate-free
formula, which provides extended
performance and protection against
rust and corrosion to all cooling system
metals, including the lightweight
aluminum found in many newer
radiators."

"If you decide to replace your
existing antifreeze/coolant with
Prestone Extended Life 5/150
antifreeze/coolant, make sure you
completely drain and flush the
cooling system first in order to
gain the full benefits of the
longer-lasting formula."

My DeLorean is due for a coolant change this week. I plan to do a
complete flush and put in the long-lasting orange stuff, and leave it
there until 2004.

- Mike Substelny

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/dmcnews