[DML] Re: Blown Fuse, help!

 <372e6c67.3ed-@xxxx> wrote:
Original Article: http://www.egroups.com/list/dmcnews/?start=334
> I was driving the D lastnight and I noticed a funny smell....There
was a 20A glass fuse in a white holder that had melted.
> The original fuse box has a melted fuse slot (w/o a fuse in it) on the
> top middle row. Could this be a workaround for the melted fuse box
> slot? I assume this is for the fuel pump? I havent had a chance to
> replace the fuse yet but if I do I still want to know why it got so hot.
> Any help?

Yes, the white fuseholder is someone's workaround for the melted fuse.
I believe this is the fuel pump fuse AND something else, my books are at
home. This brings up a common maintenance tip that is worth repeating.
It is a good idea to routinely take all of the fuses and relays out
(one at a time!!) and clean the sockets with a small burnishing tool,
and clean the fuse/relay contacts with emory cloth, or better yet just
replace the fuses - they're cheap. Depending on your climate, every year
or two should be plenty. Corrosion of the contacts causes high reistance,
which is why the fuse will heat up and melt but not blow. The current
is within ratings, but the high resistance heats everything up. I'm not
sure why but the top center fuse seems to always be the first to go. It
must be run at pretty close to 20 amps, where most fuses are more over-rated
than that.

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/dmcnews