[DML] Re: Lockzilla or WingsAloft???

I totally agree with you. It's marketing that has certainly
established the 'Zilla line of products, and created such a loyal
demographic. And I also agree that they are not nessisary fixes. Like
I said, they help to point out the weak spots of the car by addressing
them, but they certainly are not as you said, "...what it takes to
keep these cars functioning." Fan Fail jumper (FanZilla), Door
Lock Module (LockZilla), & Tank Sending Unit (TankZilla). No, you
don't need to have a 'Zilla specific product to rectify any of these
issues. But like I say, they are quickly identified as solutions,
because of their names, that are in turn associated with a positive
product line.

Another great example of this are "Toby TABs". If I tell people that I
installed a new set of improved Trailing Arm Bolts, they somewhat know
what I'm talking about. But if I tell them that I've installed a set
of "Toby TABs" on my car, then they identify with exactly what I am
talking about, AND they they are impressed. With the mention of this
brand name product, they associate with the issue the product is meant
to address, the piece of mind that I now have, and their desire to
also follow suit with their own purchase and installation of said
product. When you've got a catchy name that's easy to remember, and
say, the advertising builds even quicker. Toby Tabs have the same
recognition as 'Zilla products, and can both build upon that
recognition, to further endorse products that will later be added to
that line. Sure, there may not be "100% proven" when released, but
that name association alread builds trust in the product, based upon
past reputation, and recognition.

I plan on eventually installing a DPNW door launcher kit, as my
experience with solenoids has not been a pleasant one. Plus, the
products that you (now DPNW) offerd I really like, as you had ALLOT of
improved parts, and performance parts that no one else offers (I just
never got the chance to order these from you in the past, because I
hadn't reached that stage yet). And your door laucher systems are no
exception, as they can even roll down windows, and remote
start. But I gotta tell you one thing. IMO, if there was a common
product line associtated with these products, word would have traveled
faster than you could have believed. I like the "Wings-A-Loft"
product, but I'd bet interest, and sales would increase if people
started refering to them to something else, like "Toby Launchers", or
something of the like. Build upon that past reputation, and turn it
into a sales pitch.

Yeah, you may not agree with the logic, and it may be a little
disturbing to you. But it works. Remember, even if there are
alternative products out there, like the improved TABs that John Hervy
also offers, that kind of marketing can play a big role.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "darryl" <darryl@xxxx> wrote
<SNIP>
> Now Robert, your statement is a little disturbing: "Aside from
function, use of specificly branded products helps to further one's
pride in one's own vehicle."  That sounds like an advertiser's dream -
pay more for Nike because they spend millions on advertising, whether
or not it's a better product.  I'm having trouble with that one.  Some
of us just don't buy into that logic.  Maybe I am getting old, but I
just don't think that way - I use what works best, regardless of "name
branding"  But I have to agree, when I heard folks talking about all
the Zilla products they had installed, my thoughts were more toward
the power of advertising and image than "that's what it takes to keep
these cars functioning".  They are great products if you really do
need them.  But they aren't a requirement - I had 7 cars over an 18
year period without once needing any of them.