      1. Re: cleaning trans filter
           From: srubano@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
      2. Fuel Accumulator and fuel filter
           From: mrvideosawyer@xxxxxxxxxxxx
      3. Re: cleaning trans filter
           From: jtrealty@xxxxxxxxxxx
      4. Re: RPM's
           From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe@xxxxxxx>
      5. Re: weird hissing noise
           From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe@xxxxxxx>
      6. Re: fans run continuously, strange wiring
           From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe@xxxxxxx>
      7. Re: clutch life in a DMC?
           From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe@xxxxxxx>
      8. Re: front brake calipers
           From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe@xxxxxxx>
      9. rotors
           From: delorean502@xxxxxxxxxx
     10. Re: Re: clutch life in a DMC?
           From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe@xxxxxxx>
     11. New delorean owner
           From: beatlesra1@xxxxxxx
     12. Re: Looking for a Project DeLorean
           From: Dave Stragand <dave.stragand@xxxxxxxxxxx>
     13. RE: still problems with cooling
           From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     14. Re: Frame Weight?
           From: wingd2@xxxxxxx
     15. RE: Automatic interior light
           From: "Ryan Foster" <westiething@xxxxxxxxxxx>
     16. Multiple Thanks
           From: shirazcupala@xxxxxxxx
     17. Incorrect Voltage Reading
           From: Declan Kelly <declan_kelly@xxxxxxxxx>
     18. Heat test
           From: dherv10@xxxxxxx
     19. delorean stuff
           From: "Ryan Foster" <westiething@xxxxxxxxxxx>
     20. Re: (wasHeat test) Cooling Fans
           From: "David Swingle" <dswingle@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
     21. Re: Automatic interior light
           From: "Walter" <Whalt@xxxxxxx>
     22. RE: Automatic interior light
           From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker@xxxxxxxxx>
     23. Hot Start
           From: paulheymeson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
     24. [ETDOC] Biltmore, NC Gathering July 8!
           From: Aaron Posey <cadysrme@xxxxxxxxx>
     25. Re: Heat test
           From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker@xxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 03:30:37 -0000
   From: srubano@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: cleaning trans filter

It's not a good thing to find metal flakes on that magnet especially
for an automatic transmission! Those flakes are from the gears which
mean they are grinding and wearing out. I don't know if it's one of
those "Normal things" for the D, but if it were on another car it's a
sign of a problem. Is you trans computer shifting properly?

<SNIP>  Since I noticed that the magnet on my filter had more
> particles on it than were in the filter, I added a few extra small
> high-energy magnets from Radio Shack around the perimeter.  The
next time I
> take the tranny apart, I'll find out how effective they are.

<SNIP> Mirror, mirror on my car, who has the coolest DeLorean of them
all?
> Walt    Tampa, FL

Message: 2
   Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 00:26:49 -0400
   From: mrvideosawyer@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Fuel Accumulator and fuel filter

Dear Group,
Today I started my fuel accumulator and I must say I was having nightmares from all the posts I had read.  The accumulator went in very easy and with out much hassel.  The one thing I did notice is to make the job easier is to just cut the rubber fuel lines.  These should be replaced anyway.  Have a bucket to catch about a quart of fuel, replace the fuel lines and your good to go.

While I was at it I replaced the fuel filter too.  Not to involved just a little time consuming.
Jim Sawyer
vin 4149
"ELMO"

Message: 3
   Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 03:44:41 -0000
   From: jtrealty@xxxxxxxxxxx

Your magnets will only capture steel and cast iron particles. The
filter is meant to keep out the big chunks and any friction materiel
which is a natural by product of the aging of the automatic
transmission, not metal. You should not expect to catch much metal,
especially magnetic, although you will see flecks of brass and bronze
from the thrust washers as they wear normally. If you find large
amounts of friction materiel or any significant amount of magnetic
particles the transmission is nearing the time for a rebuild. If at
this point you continue to drive on it you will only cause more
damage, like driving on a worn out clutch, it tends to wear much
faster as it approaches the end of it's life. When the fluid becomes
overburdened by particles it wears out the pump, the seals, the torque
converter, and the thrust washers and shims. Even if you reseal they
won't last if the fluid is full of grit (microscopic particles of
metal and friction materiel). The only cure is complete disassembly
and replacement of all of the wearable parts, the friction plates, the
steel plates, seals, bushings, thrust washers, and gaskets. If you
drive the trans to destruction then you risk of ruining hard parts
like gears, housings, shafts, etc. These parts are not normally
replaced and are expensive. Think of it like driving on worn out brake
pads and ruining the rotors. If you stopped and did the pads for say
$50 you wouldn't have to go for rotors for $500. On the Delorean you
cannot properly flush out the trans fluid unless you dismantle it. Too
much remains in the torque converter and you can't drain it without
removing it. Cleaning the filter is involved but since there is no
more stock and I cannot find a replacement this is the best I can come
up with.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Walter" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
> David,
>
> I have rebuilt my automatic transmission filter the way David T
explains.
> It worked good but was very time consuming (and very rewarding if
you are
> into doing things the hard way.)  There is nothing about the filter
that I
> would consider a 'wear item' -- meaning something that wears out and
needs
> to be replaced periodically.  It is all metal, and any debris that
collects

Message: 4
   Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 01:14:57 -0400
   From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: RPM's

5,500 RPM is the safe rev limit for the DeLorean PRV engine.

DMC Joe
www.dmc.tv
"We're here to help you"
DMC Help / De Lorean Services / <dmchelp@xxxxxxx>