      1. Re: Delorean galvanized frames
           From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      2. Re: suspension update
           From: gus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
      3. Re: why use an angle drive
           From: "David Swingle" <dswingle@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
      4. can't remove my fuel accumulator
           From: orentha@xxxxxxxxxxx
      5. Re: GONE IN 60 SECONDS
           From: at88mph@xxxxxxxxx
      6. Re: Missing Grille
           From: "K Creason" <dmc4687@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      7. Insurance....PLEASE HELP!
           From: Delorean17@xxxxxxx
      8. Hunting at startup
           From: Les Huckins <jhuckins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      9. Re: Automatic transmission
           From: "Walter" <Whalt@xxxxxxx>
     10. The case of the missing grilles (was Missing Grilles)
           From: "CBL302" <CBL302@xxxxxxx>
     11. Turn signals again....
           From: BondAtomic@xxxxxxx

Message: 1
   Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 20:59:30 +0100
   From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Delorean galvanized frames

What he actually said, when pressed on this was [something like] "it would have
been too expensive to engineer the chassis in stainless to be able to take
impacts even when brittle"

Reading between the lines, it would make sense they would have had to crash a
load of stainless frames, at sub -4 degrees to see where they'd break. I guess
today's computerised stress-analysis would eliminate this problem.

Martin

Donald Ekhoff wrote:

> Mike was referring to "Hot dip galvanizing"  and this is a molten metal
> process.  It is like soldering closed all your threaded holes only zinc is
> much harder than solder.  It is possible to plug during the hot dip process
> with hard carbon plugs but it is problematic and time consuming.
>
> Also Mike indicated that the reason for not using Stainless was not cost but
> the poor low temperature (-5 degrees C.) crush characteristics of Stainless
> in a litigious American market.  He indicated that in testing it tended to
> fracture which undid the crush zone design.
>
> Donald L. Ekhoff

Message: 2