dmcnews-digest V3 #502

Title: dmcnews-digest V3 #502

dmcnews-digest         Monday, April 12 1999         Volume 03 : Number 502

Date: Wed, 7 Apr 99 22:30:06 -0600
From: David Swingle <dswingle@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: DML: re: Hood/facia

       In this issue:
        _SUBJECTS_
LovDMC12@xxxxxxx WROTE
>Subject: DML: Hood is pinching fascia

>I recently had the hood lift pistons replaced on my '81 DMC.  The
>mechanic
>said that the pistons he used were slightly shorter than the originals he
>removed.  I have noticed recently that the hood is pinching the fascia on
>the
>driver's side everytime I open the luggage compartment.  It does not
>appear
>to be catching and bending the fascia on the passenger's side.  Is this
>problem caused by these shorter lift pistons?
>Brian
>VIN 1597
The pistons have nothing to do with this. You need to re-align the hood
by loosening the 4 nuts on each side that hold the hood to the car, and
moving the hood slightly away from the facia, i.e. toward the window.
This is a great job for three people with two wrenches. Go a little bit
at a time, and test the closing carefully before letting it slam. Watch
the spacing between the hood and the fenders on either side. A little
movement (1/16" at a time) goes a LOONG way.

Why didn't you get the correct pistons? They don't cost much more than
the wrong ones.

Dave Swingle
DOA, DMC, DMC(Midwest)
 Postings to the DELOREAN MAILING LIST are the opinions of the author
 and not necessarily those of the list moderator or his Internet
 Service Provider(s). The list moderator makes every effort to screen
 out false, misleading, and negative postings, but it is up to you
 to realize that nothing should be taken as
 actual fact without research and investigation of your own.
 Send postings to "dmcnews-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
 Before posting, search the archives! www.dmcnews.com/search.html
 Thank you!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Apr 99 22:30:10 -0600
From: David Swingle <dswingle@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: DML: re: New Owner - Steering

       In this issue:
        _SUBJECTS_
"Raymond McKay" <raymckay@xxxxxxxx> WROTE
>Subject: DML: New Owner.... First Problem
>

>Well I've finally gone and done it.... I've bought my first Delorean ( =
>pictures at http://24.2.178.159 ). -- Though the previous owner had replaced
the rack and =
>pinion steering not too long ago, I find that from center there is about =
>5 to 10 degrees of play in the wheel before it starts turning the =
>wheels.  To be more specific, for those 5 or 10 degrees it feels like it =
>is not connected to  anything and then you feel it "grab" and steer.  =
>I've looked underneath for any blatant problems.

There's probably several things that could do this. I'd usually suspect
the rack itself, but there are a couple of things that you could check
first. Open up the access panel over the brake master cylinder, and you
get great access to the steering gear. Look for slop in the steering
column u-joints - there are two. This is also a good place to check for
play in the rack itself by observing the rotation of the column in
relation to the tie rod movement.

You should also look for slop in the tie rod ends. Whatever you do avoid
the temptation of removing the bearing cover(s) while the rack is in the
car. There are a bunch of ball bearings in there that would be difficult
to get back in the right place while the rack is in the car.

There are shims that can be added or removed to take up slop in the rack
itself, but if that's the problem I'd probably replace or have it
rebuilt.

To check the rack and the inner tie rod ends you'll have to take the rack
out of the car.

Date: Wed, 7 Apr 99 22:30:13 -0600
From: David Swingle <dswingle@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: DML: It's Alive!! (repost)

       In this issue:
        _SUBJECTS_
This was posted to one of the digests that got away, circa #499.

After my long winter's transmission project, I finally got a good weekend
to button the car back up and get it on the road. It's really nice to NOT
have the transmission making those crunchy noises, and the clutch is so
much nicer. I'd like to thank the list for the assistance - Bob Miller
for chasing down unobtainable transmission parts, Rob Hook for gracefully
breaking his transmission without damaging any of the parts I needed, and
the usual parts suppliers for being there with all of the little seals
and other parts that this sort of project needs. And Marty Maier for the
SS brake lines.

It's great to drive the DMC again, and really nice to have the snow gone.

Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 08:27:22 +0200
From: j.vanderWerff@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: DML: RE: Kinda looks like a DeLorean

       In this issue:
        _SUBJECTS_
For those who are interested: there is another site that covers the Aston
Martin 'Buldog' more extensively.

http://www.net.yu/~bojanm/posmod/bulldog/bulldog2.html

Unfortunately it is an Yougoslavian site ! But the pictures are nice.
There is something funny about these pictures: there are two shots of the
interior, and they show two different colours ! Are there two cars ? Or
did
somebody change the interior ?

John

Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 20:33:49 -0500
From: Tamir Ardon <ardont@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: DML: Car pulling to the left.

       In this issue:
        _SUBJECTS_
I was just wondering what might be the reason my Delorean pulls to the
left when I brake.  I checked all the tire pressures, the tires are
aligned, the calipers have been checked and the lines have been bled.
So, I still don't know what could be doing it?  Any suggestions?

Also, I am very excited about my new web site that I have developed with
the help of my brother, so I want to share it all with my fellow
Delorean Mailing List members.  Just click on the link and enjoy.
Welcome To Tamir's Delorean Site
(www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Boulevard/2171/)

Thanks a lot, and Mr. Espey, I love this new format!

Tamir (#11474)

Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 21:52:54 -0400
From: Chris Coplen <Blarness@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: DML: WANTED: 1 Dust Boot for rack and pinion

       In this issue:
        _SUBJECTS_
If there is anyone out there with an extra DUST BOOT for the front rack =
and pinion to tie rod end and wants to sell it for a REASONABLE price, =
please e-mail me at 1.21gigawatts@xxxxxxxx

I'm putting in a new lower steering universal joint and I noticed mine =
was ripped.  The parts places are out of them AND they want an =
outrageous amount of money for them.

Chris

Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 21:54:56 -0400
From: Chris Coplen <Blarness@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: DML: DeLorean Parts, Praise and Nays

       In this issue:
        _SUBJECTS_

I had my first dealings with the store in Houston this week.  It =
astounded me how absolutely POLITE they were!  I was half expecting to =
be treated rudely and lambasted for not buying enough stuff from them =
like the store in California has a tendency to do.  Houston, you now =
have my business.  My decision is based on nothing more than the =
courteous treatment I received on the phone!

Chris
1.21gigawatts@xxxxxxx

Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 21:36:55 -0500
From: scottmueller@xxxxxxxxx (Scott Mueller)
Subject: DML: Lost Oil Pressure

       In this issue:
        _SUBJECTS_
 During a panic stop my Oil Pressure went to zero and the oil light came
on.
 I checked the oil and it was between the marks on the dip stick.  I added
 enough oil to bring the level to the top mark.  I did another hard panic
 stop and the pressure stayed in the normal range ( 20 psig hot idle, +60
 psig cruising).

 It seems strange to me that with the oil level between the marks, it
would
 be possible to lose pressure during a straight line panic stop.

 Don't worry, this is not my normal driving style, I was testing the
brakes
 after working on them.

 Anyone have any suggestions as to why this would happen?
 Anyone ever experienced this problem?

 The engine has 24,000 miles on it, runs flawlessly and has never been
opened
 up since it was first purchased in 1981.

 Scott Mueller
 ScottMueller@xxxxxxxxx
 1981/002981  DOA5031/DMCNEWS
 Deep South Delorean Owners
 Future Events Page
 http://www.zebra.net/~scottmueller/Web%20Page/CamilliaClassic.htm
 April 3, 1999 Mobile, AL  Camillia Classic
 April 17, 1999 Pensacola, FL Beach Bash and All British Car Show
 May 2, 1999 Townsend, TN Blount British Car Gathering
 May 21-23, 1999, DeLorean Eastern Regional Run 9, hosted by DeLoreans of
New
 England

Date: Wed, 7 Apr 99 22:30:02 -0600
From: David Swingle <dswingle@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: DML: re: Fuel problem

       In this issue:
        _SUBJECTS_
From: TybaltCa@xxxxxxx WROTE
>Subject: DML: Fuel problem

>       The other day I was filling up my gas tank,. . .  a large puddle of gas had
formed
>under my
>car.  Looking under the car I found that there seemed to be a leak under
>the
>passenger side seat area. ....  My
>mechanic
>is going to be unavailable until Thursday, so i was wondering if there
>was
>anyone whould could help shed light on this little enigma.
>
>Matt Woolley
>Vin# 3957
Take out the spare tire, remove the access panel. The round black thing
in the middle of the fuel tank is the pump carrier. The cover is probably
loose or leaking. The other possible places are the vent hose or the
filler hose. They are all visible with the access panel removed. The leak
is undoubedly on TOP of the tank. When you fill the tank all the way to
the top, there is about a quart of gas in the filler neck which probably
accounts the large spot under the car that you saw. Once this much ran
out, the rest of the dripping is gas that sloshed out as you drove. Down
to 1/2 tank, no more leaking.

Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 09:16:39 -0400
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: DML: Fuel Leaking When Full (was Fuel Problems)

       In this issue:
        _SUBJECTS_
Matt Woolley's DeLorean leaked some gas, mostly when the tank was full.

Matt, I think your problem is on the top of the gas tank.  I've posted
this before, and you could find a few clues in the archives, but here is
my suggestion:

The leak is probably from the fuel pump seal, the fuel guage sender, or
the filler tube.  All three are on top of the tank and all three can be
accessed by removing the panel beneath the spare tire.  I suggest you go
to a gas station, open your trunk, then remove your spare tire and the
panel beneath it.  Then fill the gas tank.  You should be able to see
the trouble spot immediately.  With any luck all you need to do is
tighten the sender or the clamp around the pump.  Take a large wrench
and a large screw driver just in case and you might have this problem
solved in a couple of minutes.

- - Mike Substelny

Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 10:21:10 -0400
From: "Raven" <scommara@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: DML: Surging Problems

       In this issue:
        _SUBJECTS_
Ok, here is a new one I haven't seen any discussion about recently...as a
preface, I just bought my 81 D last week, in near cherry condition, with
just a few minor problems.

When I start my D up, it runs smooth, but after it's been running for
10-15
minutes, it starts to surge...the rpms jump between about 700-1000.
Little
longer on the road, it runs about 500-1500.  When its moving its fine, it
only seems to do this when the car is stopped.  The car has been sitting
for
a while before I got it, so could it just need an adjustment somewhere?
Anyone have any ideas?

thx,
Sam

Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 10:22:40 -0400
From: "Yocom, Shannon" <syocom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: DML: Our distant relative the Bricklin

       In this issue:
        _SUBJECTS_
Just a quick siting update:
For those that remember or have seen pictures of the Cinn. Show will
remember the Orange Bricklin there. During the first week of April he
passed
me on I75 just south of Toledo. It's good to see the cars out on the road
instead of stashed away in someones private museum. And on that note, I
have
a friend in Bowling Green, OH who works in a pallet/picnic table factory
that says one of the owners has a DeLorean stoed away in one of the
storage
rooms. I will research and inquire more about the car/owner. Maybe
sometime
shortly I can find out the VIN for the "Master VIN List".

VIN# Not Yet!
Shannon

Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 14:28:26 -0400
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: DML: looking to buy a Delorean

       In this issue:
        _SUBJECTS_
Matthew Veldhuis is looking to buy a DeLorean:

> First of all, the frame has a small amount of rust
> on the underside in the front of the car.

This is pretty normal.  Although it is a cause for some concern most of
us have a little frame rust.  If you find a DeLorean with absolutely no
rust on the frame, then you will have found an exceptional car!

> The fuel gauge indicator is pointing straight up.

Also very normal.  The only true cure is to buy a TankZilla, available
from PJ Grady.

> The engine sounds pretty good, but it has a ticking noise.
> Is that normal?

That probably indicates the dreaded exhaust gasket leak.  If this is the
case your engine is okay, but the noise makes it sound like something is
seriously wrong with your valves or timing.  You could drive like this
for a long time, but you won't enjoy it.  Search the back issues for
stories about repairing this.

> How reliable are these cars as everyday drivers??

There are a number of DML subscribers who use our DeLoreans as daily
drivers.  As far as I am concerned it is the only way to get your
money's worth out of the car.

- - Mike Substelny

Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 12:58:47 -0700
From: James Espey <espey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: DML: DeLorean appears (briefly) in current magazine

       In this issue:
        _SUBJECTS_
The current issue of "Wallpaper" magazine has two photos of a DeLorean in
an article about a house designed by a particular architect. Wallpaper is
published in the UK, but can be found in bookstores like Borders and
Barnes & Noble here in the US. The DeLorean is in the table of contents,
page 22, and the article itself, page 240. Incidentally, the DeLorean
used in the article is my 1982, #10570.

James

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 19:18:38 PDT
From: "dmc wannabe" <dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: DML: top 100 cars...

       In this issue:
        _SUBJECTS_
Dear fellow DML'ers,
  I just got a copy of "The du-Pont Registry" and they are conducting
a survey of the top 100 cars of the century. You can enter the survey
by buying a copy of the magazine or fax them (the number is
727-561-0505) or e-mail them at top100@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  or vote
on-line at www.dupontregistry.com
  So let the world know that the DeLorean is the #1 car of the
century!! Vote today and often.

  Thanks,
  The DMC Wannabe
 Postings to the DELOREAN MAILING LIST are the opinions of the author
 and not necessarily those of the list moderator or his Internet
 Service Provider(s). The list moderator makes every effort to screen
 out false, misleading, and negative postings, but it is up to you
 to realize that nothing should be taken as
 actual fact without research and investigation of your own.
 Send postings to "dmcnews-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
 Before posting, search the archives! www.dmcnews.com/search.html
 Thank you!

End of dmcnews-digest V3 #502