dmcnews-digest V3 #420

Title: dmcnews-digest V3 #420

dmcnews-digest       Monday, September 28 1998       Volume 03 : Number 420

       In this issue:
        Re: DML: Original NCT Tires
        DML: Delorean image in recent advert...
        DML: Idle Problems
        Re: DML: Original NCT Tires
        DML: New 'zine available...
        DML: [admin] www.dmcnews.com server issues
        Re: DML: Original NCT Tires
        Re: DML: Need a radio
        DML: HATCHBACK LOUVRE WANTED
        DML: New Owner
        Re: DML: [admin] www.dmcnews.com server issues
        DML: New Owner
        DML: New Owner
        Re: DML: New Owner
        Re: DML: HATCHBACK LOUVRE WANTED
        Re: DML: Original NCT Tires
        Re: DML: Original NCT Tires
        Re: DML: NCDMC Gatherings
        DML: DeLorean Sighting
        DML: air bags?
        DML: Gas Smell
        DML: Re: Idle Problems
        DML: Delorean Movie?
        Re: DML: Delorean Movie?
        DML: Trip
        Re: DML: air bags?
        Re: DML: Gas Smell
        Re: DML: Delorean Movie?
        DML: radio installation
        Re: DML: Gas Smell
        Re: DML: Delorean Movie?
        Re: DML: Gas Smell
        Re: DML: radio installation

Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 03:54:13 -0500
From: scottmueller@xxxxxxxxx (Scott Mueller)
Subject: Re: DML: Original NCT Tires

World Traveller wrote:

> There's a good chance that I will be purchasing and driving home an 81
> with 14K miles on it. It has the original tires and I will be driving
> about 400 miles home. Do you think that tires this old are still
> roadworthy or is it worth $400 to have the car trucked home?
> Mechanically it shouldn't be a problem as the current owner has replaced
> about all of the crucial components. How easy is it to fix a flat on one
> of these beasts? Looking forward to becoming part of the DeLorean

My 1981, still has the original NCT's on it.  I now have 22K on them and
they are wearing very evenly.  The key to even tire wear is air
pressure.  I run 30 in the front and 36 in the rear.  Inspect the tires
very closely, look for cracking in the sidewalls.  If the car was not
stored on the ground, your tires may still be round.  If it has sat in
one place for years, the tires will have become square and the ride will
be terrible.  When I put my car back on the road in 1995, it road like a
truck, the shocks were shot 11K, once I replaced the shocks it road a
lot better.  This week, I picked up a set of Yokohama AVS tires.  You
will want to keep the NCT's for Concours type shows.  To be on the safe
side, I would have the tires replaced and ship the NCT's home.  I hope
your trip is uneventfull, but do be prepared to performn some repairs on
the road.  Most people I have talked to, including myself, have had to
do some sort of repair work on the road, especially when a car has been
stored for several years.  I have put 10K on my car since 1995 and am
finally getting all of the bugs out of the car.  I just completed a 4400
mile road trip from home to Los Angeles with no real problems.  Good
luck and have fun.

Scott Mueller
002981