[DMCForum] Re: Good stuff....

I was following this civil debate with interest, but now that the
smartest one among has has entered with the usual insults I've lost
interest.

We listen to Martin because when he disagrees, or we're just flat out
wrong and he's right, he doesn't insult us and he isn't
condescending. He still treats us with respect.

It doesn't matter how smart you are or what you know. If you're a
dick I'll tune you out and learn it the hard way. If that means
having the same year of experience over and over again, so be it. I'm
not inclined to take someone's abuse or give them respect just
because he has knowledge I want.

My only input into this debate is this: Bill, I must confess I've
never heard of advancing timing to eliminate knock/ping. Every book
I've ever read and mechanic I've talked to says knock is possibly
(not always) a sign of over-advanced ignition.

Does this mean you're wrong? No. You have cars which show that you
know what you're doing. You just use words differently than we do and
you look at the concepts differently.

Do I miss the good old days of big blocks, points & condensors, and
dual 4 bbl Holley carbs? You bet I do. That said, I can't deny that
the advance in engine technology isn't real or beneficial. We have
smaller engines putting out more and more horsepower that require a
tune up every 100,000 miles instead of 30,000 and use less fuel.

As with all debates where the extremes have been presented, the truth
probably lies somewhere in between.

'Nuff said.

Rich

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "checksix3" <jetjock11@xxxx> wrote:
> ...Theres nothing like someone with a few new books to become an
> expert. It strikes me as odd you bought a few books off Ebay *now*,
> after owing the car so long. I've had all the Volvo manuals since
the
> second week I owned the car but you don't see me quoting them. I
> would have bid on that auction if I'd not already had all that info
> and every tech manual Bosch ever put out that applies to the car.
>
> Why don't you put that doobie down, sit back at that keyboard and
try
> typing some of these terms into Google? Or maybe try Amazon for
some
> technical references? You may enlighten yourself.
>
> Thats what separates Martin from many people...he's learned *how*
> learn. He's learned there are people who're more knowledgable than
> him and uses that to great advantage. Why argue when the "truth is
> out there"? It's why he steadily gains ground while others have one
> year of experience ten times. And he's a whole lot better at
> explaining things...

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.4074964.5287182.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1754016/R=0/SIG=11pv1u2ju/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=
30529&media=atkins> click here