  From: Martin Gutkowski [mailto:webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
  Sent: Friday, October 03, 2003 5:13 PM
  To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Subject: Re: [DMCForum] Tuning

  >Martin: You recommended I clean out the distributor and I did so. The
  >timing mark jumps off the scale between 1600 and 2000 RPM. (I can't
  >look two places at once).

  The scale is only meant for use at idle. At 800rpm ish you should set
  the timing to 13degrees (the notch on the left). When you rev the
  engine, the bob-weights advance the timing and you will see it move off
  the scale..

  > The only thing that bugs me is the engine still "farts" or
  >pops. It doesn't do it often but it bugs me. I have to find that.

  If you have removed the cat, you may find this. Alternatively, you may
  have your vac advance plumbed up wrong. Look at the vac diagram. You can
  check the vac advance shutoff solenoid is working by turning the
  ignition on, but not starting the engine. Put your hand on the solenoid
  and lift the throttle off the idlespeed control microswitch. You should
  feel the solenoid click.

  >Lastly, one more time: What brands of wires can I get that are the
  >right kind, that are PRE-MADE and have the proper boots on them?

  My PRV guy swears by the original Bougicold leads that are still
  available from all the vendors - they're also pretty and red :-) We get
  them in new from Renault in black. They are still manufactured.

  Martin

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=256694.4002236.5216697.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1784493/R=0/id=noscript/SIG=11q7p9e7k/*http://webevents.yahoo.co
m/universal/intolerablecruelty/>