[DMCForum] Re: runaway idle

Walt,

Sounds pretty comprehensive. I think you know more about the car than
I do so I feel silly offering advice but...

1. John Hervey knows the pinout for the idle regulator.

2. Did you adjust the 2 set screws on the idle linkage? Perhaps for
reasons unknown they were cranked up by the PO in the past and now
they have to be turned down. I'm referring to the ones that determine
where the throttle plates come to rest, and the one that operates the
idle microswitch. I've been tinkering with mine. You CAN make drastic
changes with those.

3. I observed that when I accidentally disconnected my vacuum advance
solenoid power that the car idled way to high because the solenoid
lost power it gave vacuum to the dizzy at idle. Mine LOOKED connected
but as soon as I jiggled it, the idle dropped right to where it
should be.

I hope this helps.

Rich

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Walter Coe" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
> I'm back (again) (sort of).  I've been spending all my otherwise
free time
> trying to get this DeLorean roadworthy for the SEDOC trip.
>
> My problem now is that the car tends to idle at around 2000 RPM.
Sometimes
> I can get it to go as low as 1600 RPM, and after revving it may
hang closer
> to 3000 RPM.  I have checked the obvious and not so obvious.
>
> The idle speed micro switch works fine.  When I disconnect it or
lightly
> touch the throttle, the idle increases by about 300 RPM.
Reconnecting the
> switch or relaxing the throttle reduces the RPMs by about 300, but
still
> maintains it at around 2000.
>
> I have tried swapping idle speed motors from another car which
didn't help.
> I have tried using a different idle speed ECU with no difference
either.  I
> cleaned all the relevant electrical connections.  I removed the
rams horns
> and checked that the throttle plates close properly, are not
obstructed or
> hanging up.  I have checked the pop-off spring loaded thingys on the
> throttle plates, and they look fine.  The brass air tube for the
idle speed
> motor is tight in the intake manifold with a new o-ring.  I further
visually
> inspected it with a mirror & light.  The tube for the cold start
valve is
> secure and appears to not have any air leaks.  The cold start valve
doesn't
> dribble.  The diode for the tach signal going into the idle speed
ECU checks
> fine.  The tach works fine but tends to rattle in sync with RPMs.
It has
> been like this for thousands of miles anyway.
>
> What led up to this condition is I thought I might have a problem
with my
> fuel system.  I threw plenty of money at the problem and installed
a rebuilt
> CPR & fuel distributor and replaced the injectors & seals.  I had
problems
> with drippy & suspect injectors, but cleared that up.  After
installing all
> this stuff I tried to adjust the air/fuel mixture with poor
results.  The
> cat kept glowing no matter what I tried.  So I took the cat off and
replaced
> it with an Ed Uding bypass pipe.  I checked the fuel distributor to
make
> sure it wasn't leaking fuel through the pin on the bottom.  I
checked the
> o-ring under it to make sure it was in place and not causing a
vacuum leak.
> At this time I might have had the brass tube for the idle speed
motor loose
> in the intake manifold, and that could have been a big part of my
problem
> adjusting the air/fuel mixture & having the cat glow.
>
> Today I *think* I properly adjusted the air/fuel mixture using a
dwell meter
> despite the fact that it idles around 2000 RPM.  If I rev it higher
it tends
> to run slightly richer.  If I adjust it really lean then the idle
decreases
> to a reasonable level, but it makes the engine run poorly and
impossible to
> restart without pressing the air meter flap or adjusting the
mixture richer.
> If I unplug the idle speed motor, it causes the engine to stall.
If I
> unplug the idle speed ECU, this does some interesting stuff.
Normally when
> I do this to any DeLorean, the car still runs fine but idles a bit
too fast.
> On this car unplugging the ECU causes it to stall right away BUT
with a
> different idle speed motor installed it doesn't stall.  I haven't a
clue
> why.  Can anyone tell me the pin-out on the idle speed motor so I
can mess
> with it?  I feel like I must be overlooking something really
obvious.  After
> all, what can make a car idle so fast?
>
> Walt

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3887155.5125412.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512