Re: [DMCForum] Re: Slip 'n slide

> You are saying the if the lip of the bushing is worn away it won't
> catch the flange on the bracket, right?

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! oh wait, what?  Thats not what I was
implying, but that could very well be the case.  I meant that the flange
on the rack might have worn into the bushing.

The bushing come right off the rack.

When I replaced my rack, I was disenchanted by the engineering that holds
the rack in.  There looked like there was no good way to mess up the
assembly.  I guess it is possible that my setup was not right from the
PO.

>From what I recall, there are 2 flanges on the rack.  The only thing that
keeps the rack from sliding back and forth is these two flanges.  The two
U-bolts, I think, do not do shite for holding the rack in place.  The
U-bolt does hold a bushing, which in turn touches the flanges.  The
u-bolts are both to the inner (or outer, I forget) of the flanges on the
rack.  So, one u-bolt prevents the rack from moving in one direction, the
other u-bolt prevents the rack from moving in the other direction.

The setup looked kinda flaky to me- I didn't find anything that made the
steering setup really sturdy/static.

Of course, this could all be wrong.  I'm just telling you how my car is
set up.  If everything i know is wrong, please someone let me know.

Jim

> It seems like I had many things fail at once. The crumple assembly
> collapsed, the bushings gave out and I still bet my tie-rod ends
> need
> replacing.
>
> The screwed up part is, the actual welding is probably not hard and
> won't cost a fortune but no one I've talked to wants to be
> responsible
> and I simply do not have the skill to do this. I'm reading about it
> but I'd need a lot of practice first.
>
> As usual, good answers guys. Thanks.
>
> Rich

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!