[DMCForum] Re: Steel for frame repair

It's supposed to be the bottom part of the tube. I did a test fit
today. It's close but as you say the edges will need to be bent up or
trimmed off to make a perfect fit.

I also believe that more of the remaining metal on the bottom will
need to be cut away for the new piece to fit.

The metal that the steering bracket is mounted to will need to be
welded to this new bottom plate. The metal of the crumple tube where
the passenger side steering bracket mounts to shifts slightly under
pressure because the metal it was welded to was cut away.

The condition of the piece I have is light surface rust. It appears to
be at least as thick as the original material.

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "timnagin" <timnagin@xxxx> wrote:
> It looks like that would be the top section of the crumple tube
partially
> viewable from standing in front of your car, looking down from the
top. Of
> course this would mean the bonnet/luggage compartment cover would be
in the
> way.  I do not recall how many sections are involved with putting
this piece
> together, but this piece looks like it could be bent to form the sides.
> Other pieces would have to be welded on to make a complete assembly.
>
> It may help if you look at the crumple tube picture at
> http://www.pjgrady.com/lgspec.asp?id=30 and then take your picture and
> rotate it one hundred and eighty degrees.
>
> What is the condition and the thickness of the piece of steel you have?
>
> Greg

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=256694.3867555.5111023.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1750639/R=2/id=noscript/SIG=11fl5bu29/*http://webevents.yahoo.co
m/universal/rundown/>