Re: [DMCForum] Turbo

--- Martin Gutkowski <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

His turbos are set to 5psi which
> according to Darren is as
> high as they should be set without at least low
> compression pistons.. .  . . . . . .

I have personal knowledge of at least a dozen turbo'd
cars that are on the road rather consistently (not
just show cars).  ALL of them run over 5lbs. of boost.
None of them have intercoolers (though I know of a
couple of cars that do) and none of them have
water/methanol injection.  I can understand Darren's
need to be conservative, but frankly, the pistons and
the bottom end of the engine will take more than 5 lbs
with little or no detonation.
- - - - - - - - - - - -
> "get a different engine, if you want a turbo engine,
> get an engine that
> was designed for it in the first place." . . . . .

This, too, makes sense TO A POINT.  There is a market
worth several hundred million dollars in aftermarket
turbos.  They are powering Hondas, Toyotas,
Mitsubishis, Chryslers, Fords, - - you get the idea.

And, of course, if the reference is to odd-fire
engines, then take a look at the Buick Grand National
odd-fire V6 that was turbo'd.  It is hungered after by
performance afficiandos.
- - - - - - - - - - - -
> we've started to get
> answers, some of which provide a fascinating new
> path for fuel
> enrichment under boost, timing curves, you name it.
> He agreed that the
> engine should be able to produce more than it is.. .
. . . . Ah, now we are getting to it.  Yes, there is
much that should be able to be done with fuel
enrichment under boost and timing curves.
Unfortunately, the marketer or the twin turbo set-up
is not a performance "engineer" and, thus, we must
fend for ourselves.  Moreover, turbo shops I've talked
to don't want to spend too much time on a market as
small as the "Turbo'd DeLorean" market.

So, anything you learn about either the fuel
enrichment or timing curves, please share it.  The CPR
that enriches in relation to boost is a new one to me.
Sounds like a real opportunity.  Certainly, the "fool
the lambda" approach is VERY limited.
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Then the only problem left is the
> ignition, whre welding up
> the bob-weights and going for Emerald EFI and having
> it mapped ona
>  rolling road will be the answer. Then it's a
> Milford K-Star for proper
> mapped fuelling.   . . . . . . .Keep  us (me) posted
on this as well.  Going that route may not make a lot
of sense over here with no one to install/service the
unit (and, frankly, that isn't quite within my limited
abilities) but what you learn may be applicable to
some similar unit available here, now or in the
future.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> They weren't meant for it, are a bad bit of
> engineering, but provide a
> lot of fun for a tinkerer like me!   . . . . .

Martin, it is tinkerer's like you and others who are
helping to keep the marque alive.  Thanks!

Dick

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1693353/R=0/SIG=11t71ok4g/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=6