Re: [DMCForum] Turbos was: Decadent pleasures

Re: [DMCForum] Turbos was: Decadent pleasures

> I guess it just depends on where you do most of your driving.  With the
> supercharger you have it at the pedal immediately, on the low end, and
the
> turbo has to spool up and build manifold pressure.  I agree though, if
you
> spend a lot of time at the higher speeds you would probably benefit
more
> with the turbo.  Plus, it's not as parasitic at lower speeds.

I think this is a fundamental mistruth about turbo systems.  Though it is
true that turbos are more efficient at mid-RPMs, they don't HAVE to
"spool up" at low RPMs.  After all, the turbo is spinning at all times
(that the engine is running!).  If the boost pressure signal is located
close to  the throttle plate, the response of the turbo is very good.

Assume you want your turbo to run at 5psi max pressure.  If the pressure
sensor is right at the throttle plate, then the turbo keeps pumping until
the pressure at the sensor's position is 5psi.  As soon as you press on
the gas and the pressure falls almost immediately, the wastegate closes
and the turbo "comes on" to hold the pressure at 5psi.

This situation is usually not the case in OEM turbo systems because, as
we all know, the car companies do not consider performance first.  They
put the sensor at the outlet of the air turbine, which holds the turbo
output at 5psi.  The system from the turbo through the intercooler and
hosing to the intake will lose some pressure.

It also helps a lot if a turbo is correctly sized for the application/RPM
range.

Jim

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3793308.5048975.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512