Re: [DMCForum] Re: More on the Scientific Method

Re: [DMCForum] Re: More on the Scientific Method

"Gremlins". How appropriate. ;) They can get into anything - first law
of the sea.

Make sure nobody has put a baked potato up your tailpipe. That happened
once to a friend of mine who wondered why his VW Beetle wouldn't start.

Another irrelevant post from:

Farrar

Dave Stragand wrote:
> Well, it could be compression, spark, fuel, or a combination... or
something you haven't tested yet.

> Remember, the stated problem is "The car will not run", not "there is a
problem with the spark, compression, or fuel".  Those last are hypotheses.
Find ways to test them, but don't get discouraged if you don't find
anything wrong there.

> Personally, I'd lean away from the compression.  You have plenty to get
it to start.  And it DID start, so let's focus on analyzing why.

> Let's go back to the results of adding the MMO.  It ran.  Since
compression isn't the main problem (100psi is fine), the other result of
adding MMO is lubrication.  You may have a huge amount of friction if your
oil isn't flowing.  Did you check the oil pressure yet?  Anything coming
out one of the sender holes?  MMO doesn't burn like fuel, even in a
diesel, so we can discount that.  Friction can account for squeaking
(metal-to-metal), hard cranking, and lack of compression (no oil to seal
the rings).

> Squeaking like that isn't good.  Coupled with the lack of oil pressure,
I would really focus on that.  You should get at least enough pressure on
cranking to get the oil light to go out, and stay out, for about 5 seconds
at minimum.  Have you checked the viscosiy of the oil lately?  Has it
thinned with fuel?

> "Truth comes knocking at the door, and you say, 'Go away! I'm looking
for the truth,' and so it goes away.  Puzzling." - Robert Pirsig.  The
lack of oil pressure is pointing to the fact that SOMETHING is wrong;
listen to it and find out what it's telling you.  The car might start
without oil pressure, but the same cause of the lack of oil pressure could
be the cause of the non-start condition.  This little "unrelated issue"
could be the cause.

> Zen movie quote: "To hear, one has only to listen". (Guess the movie).
=)

> -Dave
>
> PS - Have you tried starting it without the belts by chance?  It would
reduce the initial load.

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245454.3656312.4921743.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1457554/R=0/SIG=11c6fnta2/*http://ipunda.com/clk/beibunmaisuiyui
wabei>